Welcome to Dee's Pad

My life as a writer, and as a wife, mother, and grandmother.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Dee Gatrell's Writing News

This evening my neighbor called to say there was a bear in their trash and he was a good sized bear. We've lived in this house for two years and never had a bear visit before.

So I yelled for my husband to get the dogs into the house quickly.

The bear sightings were called in to me--it's at Dave's house now. Then I'm sitting her on my computer and I hear "kaboom." Ok, I admit I jumped a mile. Hubby looked and there was the bear who pulled out the trashbag from our big trashcan. I doubt he got anything good to eat in there. In fact, I think he was ticked off because when my husband glanced out the window, the bear growled at him.

I called 911 and the operator kept saying, "Now, don't go outside. Stay inside." Is she crazy? Did she really think I'd go outside when there was a bear out there?

I asked if she could give me the phone number of the wildlife office. She said she didn't have it, but in a few minutes she got it. I called them. They said he'd just dump all the trashcans looking for food and then should leave.

Hope someone else had better stuff in their trashcans then we did!

In the morning, my dogs are not going outside until it's light and I'm going out with them. Generally, since we have a large fenced-in yard, I let them go out for half an hour in the mornings. They ain't gonna be happy with mama tomorrow!

dg

No comments: