Welcome to Dee's Pad

My life as a writer, and as a wife, mother, and grandmother.

Monday, April 23, 2007

Carol Quinto Mini Conference

The Volusia Country Romance Writers had a great conference on April 21, 2007. Guest author speaker was Haywood Smith, author of the Red Hat Club, a New York Times Bestseller, and The Red Hat Rides Again. The Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch appeared on both the USA Today's list and the New York Times Extended Bestseller list.

We found Haywood very entertaining and good choice for guest speaker. If your writing group is looking for a speaker, I'd recommend Haywood Smith.

Also a guest speaker was Elaine Spencer from the Knight Agency. Elaine acts as the liaison between clients, publishers and agents. She is experienced with legal contracts and executive management as well as writing, editing and publishing.

I also found Elaine to be a terrific speaker, giving us a lot of useful information. She's easily approachable and our guests were happy with the way she would answer their questions.

I am happy to say that I was given this year's Carol Quinto Service Award. Carol passed over several years ago. I know she's up there looking down and saying, "You're doing what I wanted you to do--volunteering to keep the chapter going."

We're fortunate in our group to have great people who volunteer and keep our small RWA chapter going. Carol was big on volunteering. I remember the time she called me to say the newsletter editor had to drop out of writing and she wanted me to be the new editor. I tried to tell her I didn't have time, with working and the family. She said, "yes, you can do it. I'll help."

I did it! It was hard to say no to this great lady. She and her husband, Mike, passed away within two months of one another, both from cancer. She's greatly missed.

So now, it's time to get busy and work on my manuscripts so I can send one to Elaine and keep my fingers crossed that she doesn't dislike my work!

Dee

No comments: